Decorating is supposed to be fun, right?! Pick out what you like, put it all together and voila!—dream home. That would be nice, but it's not reality.
● Your walls are naked, because you can’t decide what to hang on them and every nail hole feels like a big commitment.
● Your bookshelves look cluttered no matter what you do—how does anyone make them look nice anyway!?
● Your color scheme is neutral, because you’re afraid too much color will clash and neutrals go with everything,right?! Wrong.
Worst of all, you know your home could be great, but it isn’t coming together the way you want. It just doesn’t feel like you.
In short, you’re left feeling frustrated, lost, and overwhelmed in your own home.
(That’s not right.)
You have a wealth of options, ideas, and let’s face it: lots and lots (and lots) of pictures on Pinterest. What you don’t have are the practical tools to turn your inspiration into reality.
Imagine a home that is:
● As beautiful as it is comfortable.
● Where everyone can sit back and enjoy themselves.
● That reflects you and your family's personality.
You might think it takes magic or an artistic flair to create gorgeous interiors.
You might think that you need a design degree or tons of money (or to hire someone with a design degree for tons of money!) in order to have a well-decorated home.
Well, that’s simply not true!
You can master the art of decorating. You just have to know the science behind it. And once you know it, you can use decorating as a tool to...
● Turn your home into a sanctuary for your family and friends.
● Design the home you want your children to remember growing up in.
● Make your home the one place you can truly unwind and be yourself.
With science + art on your side, you'll finally be able to create a home that feels amazing—because it feels like you.
And when that happens, you'll love your home for years to come, because it’s filled with decor you love that can evolve with you.
Décorography is a self-paced online program that will teach you to decorate for yourself, spend wisely and confidently on all of your future decor, and most importantly: create a home that feels like you.
Décorography isn’t like reading a blog, picking up a decorating book, or gathering ideas on Pinterest.
Décorography is a library of step-by-step video classes that show you how to decorate your home. You won’t just learn what looks good and why, you'll also learn how to do it in your home.
You'll take a whole home approach to decorating, so no room gets left behind. That means...
● You won't choose a wall paint color for one room at a time. You'll learn how to create a whole house color palette so you never have to choose paint colors again.
● You won't just learn how to hang art above a sofa. You'll learn how to hang art above any large piece of anchor furniture and make your wall decor look great any every room.
● You won't just learn how to mix fabric patterns. You'll learn how to use fabrics together to create the desired feeling you want in your home.
● And more!
It’s like Netflix for home decorating. Binge-worthy, but with much better results.
Décorography includes these four specialized courses to solve your biggest decorating struggles:
1. Color Confidence so you can create your whole house color palette, mix and match fabrics like a pro, and bring it all to life with a great lighting design.
2. Planning Precision so you can pick the right home projects and successfully complete them, figure out your ideal furniture layout, and plan room makeovers using mood boards.
3. Styling Savvy so you can declutter and beautify your functional spaces, style your bookshelves, and learn how to arrange flowers so well no one will ever know you bought them at the grocery store.
4. Personalization Prowess so you can make your home decor meaningful and memorable, choose your perfect wall decor, and create an amazing overnight guest experience.
"Before Décorography I already had a good idea of what I “liked” and “disliked”, but I didn’t know how to pull together that “polished/finished” look I desired. I spent a lot of time (and money) buying things I “loved”, but didn’t always know how to incorporate them with other items in my home. My favorite part of Décorography is the professional quality videos breaking down each topic in a simple no-fail approach to decorating. I have watched them several times, as I work on various aspects of a room, and glean new information each time as I start to apply the things I learn. I have spent LESS money learning how to use mostly existing items I already had! "
- Tonia Fisher (Rancho Santa Margarita, California)
Here's your complete breakdown of the classes within each course…
The basics of color theory for decorating so you can finally understand color and make color decisions for your home.
Transform the way you make color decisions so you can create a whole home color palette that makes your home flow from room to room.
● Easy to follow 7-step process for choosing the main colors for your walls and furnishings.
● How to identify undertones in fixed finishes and neutrals so you can choose colors that go with the existing fixtures in your home.
● How to choose accent colors, wood tones, and metal finishes that compliment your whole home color palette.
A no-fail formula for picking patterns that works for fabrics, upholstery, rugs, bedding, and wall coverings.
● Discover the easiest way to choose a collection of patterns and open yourself up to using multiple patterns in a room.
● How to classify, identify, and describe patterns so you can successfully choose patterns that work well together.
● Learn the three pattern formula, then learn how to extend your pattern collection to five or more patterns in the same space without them being too busy or clashing.
Use lighting design to easily make your home more functional and beautiful.
● How to best use the three main types of lighting and the most common light fixtures to create a well lit room.
● How to mix and match light fixtures to create an interesting lighting design.
● How to control the mood of your room with simple automation, specialty light bulbs, and properly diffusing light.
Prioritize and organize your home project list so you know which project to do next and which projects you shouldn't bother doing at all.
● Follow a simple four-step process to prioritize your home project ideas.
● Learn the basics of project management so you can get any project done on time, under budget, and without getting a divorce.
● Get the worksheets you need to plan your project, track your progress, and make every project a success.
Plan your rooms visually so you can make sure the end result matches your vision for the space.
● How to think like a designer when planning your room (and the exact questions you need to answer to get started).
● How to plan a successful room makeover using the seven layers of a room.
● The three best free online tools for creating mood boards and my recommended workflow.
Solve the puzzle that is space planning with simple strategies and tools to plan your ideal furniture layout.
● Create a furniture plan that fits your lifestyle with a focus on the activities and feeling that are most important to you in each room.
● How to use a free online tool to create a re-usable plan to rearrange your furniture digitally whenever you want.
● See detailed space planning recommendations for 12 real homes with common furniture and space limitations.
How to “Shop Your Home” so you can use what you already have to refresh any room.
How to decorate better with the decor you already have.
Learn styling strategies to arrange everyday necessities so the busiest rooms in your home look beautiful too.
● How to use five styling strategies to organize and beautify the functional spaces in your home.
● See how the five functional styling strategies apply to a real kitchen, bathroom, dressing area (in the bedroom), and home office.
● Learn how to get the whole family involved so you can create new habits and systems to keep your home neat, organized, and well styled.
Learn how to balance practical storage with pretty display on your bookshelves.
● How to decorate your shelves with and without books and how to choose the best accessories for your bookshelves.
● How to make your books look good and make space to mix in meaningful and decorative objects.
● Learn a 5-step process for arranging your shelf decor, 14 ways to stack books and mix in decor, and how to choose the right accessories for your bookshelves.
How to arrange flowers in a vase, create simple centerpieces, and flower care tips and tricks, so you can welcome flowers into your home more often.
● How to choose flowers and greenery for your arrangements with a focus on inexpensive farmer’s market and grocery store bouquets.
● How to arrange flowers in a vase and what flowers go best in which vases.
● How to use wet floral foam to create beautiful centerpieces just as easily as arranging flowers in a vase.
Personalize your home decor and give your home a personality so you can make your home a reflection of you.
● How personalize your decor and the five stories your home should tell about you.
● Learn how to brainstorm ways to showcase your story and translate your ideas into artifacts you can decorate with.
● Give your home a unique, consistent personality of its own with a fun "branding" exercise.
Everything you need to know to plan your wall decor and choose the right size and placement for any wall.
● Discover the three main types of wall decor and where to use each type.
● How to determine the proper size of wall decor for any space with easy formulas and guidelines.
● Where to place your wall decor to create the most visual interest.
● How to plan and hang beautiful gallery walls mixing together frames, art, and decorative wall decor.
Everything you need to prepare to give your guests a comfortable and relaxing stay at your home.
● How to create a comfortable and welcoming sleeping area (whether you have a guest room or not).
● What food and drink considerations you need to make for mealtimes and in-between so your guests don't go hungry or thirsty or feel awkward asking you for something.
● How to take your guests comfort to the next level and what to plan in advance before your guests arrive so you can be a relaxed and gracious host.
Everything you need to create a home that will have all your neighbors asking you for decorating advice.
● Get instant, lifetime access to all four courses with a total of fifteen step by step decorating classes. Each class includes 30-90 minutes of video lessons with my best tips and practical decorating advice for a particular decorating topic.
● Marry that up with over 30 cheat sheets and worksheets and you’ll have everything you need to apply what you learn to improve your home right away.
● For each class you’ll have a fun assignment to complete in your home. This way, throughout the program you’ll be gradually improving your home, experimenting with your decor, and growing your confidence and skills.
"I was decorating challenged! Too much over thinking, not enough doing. Since joining Décorography, I am better prepared, more carefree about the decorating process. I love Jackie’s very practical methodology for color and pattern selection. "
- Leslie Kilian Lake Oswego, OR
"Before Décorography I thought if I wanted a beautiful house or even just a beautiful room I would have to get a professional interior designer. With only a few Décorography lessons, I gained the confidence to paint my house and decorate it myself.My house no longer feels like a modern monolith, butthe home that I want to spend time in. "
- Heather Layzell Canberra, Australia
"Before Décorography, decorating was daunting. I didn’t know where to start or how to prioritize… so nothing got done. Now I am enjoying learning and strategizing how I can make my vision and goals into realities in my home. I feel more confident in that there is a science behind the art. I am creative and know what I want, but now I have more tools on how to get there. "
- Shelly Marstall Arlington, VA
"Decorating made me feel overwhelmed. Inadequate. Amateur. Since starting Décorography, I have more confidence and greater acceptance with where I’m at. Now, I have a commitment to OWN our home decorating. "
- Lauren Lanker Orlando, FL
Hi! I’m Jackie Hernandez, and I'm on a mission: to empower you to find your inner decorator! Why?
Because creating a home you love doesn’t have to be so hard and learning to decorate your own home is an investment in yourself that lasts a lifetime.
I'm a former Information Technology Project Manager, Air Force Officer, and a degree-holding Biologist with an emphasis in Education.
It wasn’t until I was working as an IT project manager while decorating my second home that I realized: there's a science to decorating. I began to dig in and uncover the formulas so decorating would never be a struggle again. The principles I discovered and developed are the basis of Décorography: The Art & Science of Decorating. I created Décorography to help bridge the gap between “designer” and “homemaker.” As a busy wife and mother of two (who also works from home), I know how important it is to make your home work for you and make you feel great.
"Jackie breaks decorating down into manageable pieces and her presentation style and examples are clear, easy to understand, and make it less intimidating. I'm building confidence and gaining strategies on how to get from our current situation to what we want. Which is helpful because we're planning a large renovation! "
- Katrina H., Massachusetts
Décorography will show you step by step how to create a home you love without indecision, second guessing yourself, or buying the wrong things.
It's everything you need to decorate your home from top to bottom.
"Before Décorography my approach to home decorating was a mess! I didn't have a good sense of my personal style or even that you could have a personal style in your home. After Décorography I feel way more confident in my abilities to pull a room or small area together in a way that looks styled, yet feels authentically me. I can shop for my home with confidence because I know what will work and what won't even before bringing it home! I spend far less money because I'm not wasting money on mistakes. My favorite thing about Décorography is the community! Not only do I have a group of people to help me work through my ideas and provide inspiration, but I've also developed solid friendships that extend far beyond home decorating. The investment in the program has been invaluable and I feel so fortunate that I happened upon Jackie's site one day and decided to trust my gut and join! "
- Dayle Denney (Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada)
"With decorating my home I was pretty overwhelmed, so, I paid a lot for help. I think I could have avoided some of that and learned more about developing my style if I had Décorography 2 years ago:) Since joining, I am more confident, like I can actually tackle some projects. "
- Amy Gannaway Mountain View, CA
● Have a question about a class or want a second opinion on your latest home project? You’ll have access to a private MEMBERS-ONLY forum to ask questions, upload pictures, and discuss classes.
● Your posts will only be visible to Jackie and other Décorography members, so no worries if the picture of your living room has toys strewn all over the floor or you’ve painted a dozen color samples on the wall and still can’t decide. Let’s talk about it in the forum.
"Before Décorography I was frustrated! Lost! Like I was buying a ton of sh** I didn’t need :):) Now, I am not frustrated! Not lost! Plus I love the Décorography community to show our progress and ask opinions when I’m stuck. It’s really nice to “meet” the other students and chit chat back and forth. "
- Anna Mack Servern Elizabeth, CO
I called on my favorite lifestyle and home experts to share their wisdom with you in an exclusive video interview! You’ll have instant access to the entire interview library. The interviews are also available as an audio download so you can listen to them on the go.
The interview library includes:
● Meet Your Teacher with Jackie Hernandez of SchoolOfDecorating.com
● Taking Decorating Risks with Lindsay Ballard of Makely.com
● Fill Your Home with Stories with KariAnne Wood of ThistlewoodFarms.com
● Living Well Spending Less with Ruth Soukup of LivingWellSpendingLess.com
● The Paperless Home with Donnie and Abbie from JustaGirlandHerBlog.com
● Housekeeping You Can Keep Up With with Becky from CleanMama.net
● Recreate the Feeling of Home Anywhere with Melissa Riker of TheHappierHomemaker.com
● Creative Savings with Kalyn Brooke of CreativeSavingsBlog.com
● How to Plan Simple and Sane Events with Megan Willis from CelebrateDallas.com
● Thinking Outside the Gift Box with Lauren Lanker from TheThinkingCloset.com
"I love Jackie’s interviews! (And not just the one she did with me.) It’s so helpful to hear others’ stories and how they infuse their home with their personality. It gives me the confidence to do the same with mine. "
- Lauren Lanker Orlando, FL
"Decorating is my favorite hobby and I love decorating my home, but since Décorography I have become more selective in the items I purchase and have fewer returns and regrets.I have a clearer idea of what I really need for a particular spot – if I truly need anything at all. I have more confidence in what I’ve done. "
- Annemarie Byrnes Philadelphia, PA
When you make your next big furniture purchase—like a sofa or bed—you'll be certain it's the right one for your ideal furniture layout and the right fabric to match your color scheme. You'll also know what size art to hang above it and how to mix and match decorative pillows to go on it.
Get clear on how to decorate for your real life, work with what you’ve got, and shop smartly (because you’ll know what your space really needs). All with the convenient video classes inside Décorography.
When you join Décorography now you get:
That's $1008 worth of value!
"Since we rent it was important to me to inject our individuality into our home to create a place we felt was “ours”. But, I had no idea where to begin. I used to feel like our home didn't reflect who we are. I had no idea of what colours to use on our walls or how to blend various décor pieces or furniture from different stores. If I bought something new home I didn't know how to work it in with the décor I already owned. I would spend ages trying to style décor and wonder why it just didn't seem to look right.
After Décorography our home is finally feeling like us! I have been able to confidently choose a colour palette, not only for our walls but also for accent pieces. I am able to shop my home easily for decor and able to use a formulae to arrange it without second guessing myself and constantly re-arranging.
My favorite part of Décorography: Jackie's videos and lesson downloads are presented in a fun and friendly way & are so easy to follow. The FB community is so supportive & encouraging. Instead of getting frustrated with my hubby when I ask him if something looks okay and getting the answer of "it's fine," I can rely on the Décorography members to give me constructive advice! "
- Michelle Jones (Shropshire, United Kingdom)
"I love a well-decorated space in photos but didn’t feel capable of pulling those spaces off in real life. Since joining Décorography, I have learned a lot, especially about fabrics. How to Mix and Match Patterns was an excellent class! It was packed with information and good practice exercises. "
- Missy Miedema Grand Forks, ND
"I have read many interior design books, blogs and watched videos, but none of it seems to be translating well in my head or in my home. Some people are natural at decorating, but I’m certainly not one of them. I know good design when I see it, however I’ve been frustratingly challenged when attempting to recreate it or transpose it to my space. I joined Décorography because as I watched Jackie’s first blog videos, I felt that I found someone who understands how hard this can be, and someone who saw the need for detailed explanations and breakdowns. So many of the other resources assume that people just “get it” and don’t offer the “why” as to how something works or doesn’t. I tend to be very literal, and I appreciate Jackie’s step by step, formulaic approach. She is pretty much the only one out there that communicates as thoroughly as people like me need. "
- Meghan Kesseler Seattle, WA
But you don't need an interior designer to create a beautiful, meaningful home. Décorography will show you how to decorate for yourself and you'll have a community of support to help you along the way.
Move past the guesswork, learn how to decorate, and create the home of your dreams with step by step guidance.
My goal with this course is to help you create a home you love and build your creative confidence in the process.
I’m confident that if you follow the lessons and do your homework, you WILL see your home transform from a place you live to the place you love.
However, if for any reason within 30 days you decide Décorography isn’t for you, just let me know, and I’ll refund 100% of your money, no questions asked.
"There’s a part of me that needs decorating, making spaces to look like me. Before Décorography I was lost when it comes to my personal style. I had followed the same style as my mother and sister, but it didn’t feel truly like me. Since joining Décorography I have realized that I tried to copy the styles of other people. I was too blinded by trends. Now I am confident enough to seek my own personal style and only choose things I love. Knowing what I love, makes it easier to make the right decisions. It saves money and time. It has changed the way I think about decorating. Joining Décorography has been the best investment in finding my personal style and the confidence to try and achieve it! "
- Jenni Ahokas Mäntsälä, Finland
I look forward to helping you create the place that finally feels like home. My hope for you is that you love your home just as much as you love your family - because at the end of day, that’s who this is really for. I hope to see you in the classroom!
This curriculum was designed for busy moms, because Jackie gets it. The program is organized into four courses. Each course has 3+ video classes on the topic.
Here’s how it breaks down for each class:
● You’ll get 30-90 minutes of video instruction.
● Homework assignments can take 1 to 2 hours, or longer, depending on how you want to make Décorography work for you.
● If your goal is to focus on one class per month (which is what I recommend), then all totaled, you’ll need about 2 to 4 hours each month. In other words, about as much time as you need for your favorite television show! (But with much better results!)
● Have extra time or want to work ahead? You can, because you have instant access to all the classes. Plus, a bonus library of expert interviews to watch.
As a lifetime member, you get instant access to all the classes inside Décorography. Plus, you also get the bonus video interviews with lifestyle and home experts.
But you don't have to watch everything at once. You can work through the classes at your own pace. You'll have lifetime access to all the Décorography content, which means for as long as the program and company exist. (Décorography was founded in 2014 and Jackie has been in business for over five years.)
Nope! You can use Décorography and revamp your entire home without buying a thing. It’s absolutely possible to work with what you have and I love to encourage you to use what you have in better ways.
That said, I also think it’s exciting to find new pieces or accents to bring a room together! It’s part of the fun of decorating to incorporate old and new in a way that works. In this case, I’ll urge you to buy right.
That means – items you can use in multiple places around your home, only things you really love and things that have real staying power – so you don’t feel like buying new decor six months from now!
The best part of enrolling in Décorography is that once you know the basics, you’ll know just where to spend your money when you are ready to shop!
First of all, we’ve all been there. When you’re living with kids it’s easy to forget that you even have a floor sometimes under all the toys.
And we all need to start somewhere. There is no shame in hating your current decor or look of your home – that’s why you’re here: to find the home you love through decorating.
Whether it’s one room or the entire house, you bring the mess and we'll help turn it around!
And when we say “mess” we really mean it. We encourage you to share progress pics, even when your house isn’t neat or tidy. Why? Because that’s real. And the mission here is to decorate your real home, not some photo shoot set that no one actually lives in!
I specifically created the private members-only forum so that you have a safe, private space to share your decorating progress, totally judgment free, and with others who are doing the same. No Pinterest-pressure to be picture perfect.
After all, we’ve all got legos on the floor and piles of laundry around, right?
You WILL get access to Jackie in the private members-only forum. Personal consults and private decorating services are not included with your membership. If you have decorating questions, post them in the forum and Jackie will be happy to share her expertise and feedback with you. Plus, in the forum you’ll have a bunch of classmates to help you, too.
All you need to access Décorography is a computer and a desire to make a home you love!
The site is also mobile friendly so you can access the lessons and watch the videos on most tablets and phones with a web browser. You can also download the audio for the bonus interviews to listen on the go.
For the assignments, you might also need a tape measure, step stool, scissors, hammer, or personal assistant (kids or hubby?)… if you want to get really serious about the homework. But that’s totally at your discretion with how much extra credit you’ve got time for!